Railings have long come in a variety of materials (wood, steel, aluminum, wrought iron) but glass railings are now gaining popularity. They’re hard-working, durable and beautiful. Their contemporary design makes them popular with many businesses and homeowners. They can be used on the exterior or interior of your space; on your walkway or stairwell or as a barrier for your deck, patio and/or pool. If you’re planning a renovation in your space, consider glass railings.
What are the benefits of glass railings?
- Open up a room: Wooden and metal railings are bulky, decreasing visibility and blocking sunlight. Glass railings/barriers offer a modern design feel that allows natural light to pour in and makes your space feel open.
- Increase visibility: Does your deck, veranda or patio face a marvellous view? Preserve the panorama, unobstructed, with a framed or frameless glass railing. The tempered glass panels used for railings are virtually invisible providing a seamless flow between your property and the landscape.
- Promote health: Natural light enhances mood and motivation and helps create a healthy environment. Glass barriers let the natural light in!
- Increase aesthetic appeal: Glass railings offer a sleek, elegant design that is highly appealing. They’re timeless, subtle and subdued allowing them to blend with many styles.
- Enjoy low maintenance: No more sanding, staining and polishing! Glass barriers require only a little soap and water.
- Are durable: Glass railings are impervious to sun and rain. Glass does not corrode with exposure to water, crack due to extreme temperatures or change colour when exposed to sunlight. It does not warp and is not susceptible to rot. Glass is extremely durable and will look great for a long period of time.
- Can be customized: Choose framed or frameless railings. Design the glass barrier to fit your space exactly. Choose the size, shape and transparency. Open up a room or choose a little privacy. There are many options!
- Compliment other materials: The clean aesthetic of glass makes it easy to pair with stainless steel, aluminum, wood, marble, granite and natural materials.
- Improve market value: Glass railings/barriers are a sophisticated enhancement optimizing the selling potential of any property.
- Are environmentally friendly: Are you concerned about your carbon footprint? Glass is one of the most environmentally friendly options available. It doesn’t require deforestation or mining. It’s 100% recyclable and chemically inert.
- Make a design statement: Glass railings bring a refined, sophisticated look to any staircase/area. They contribute to a bright and airy feel and boost the design of your home.
What are the options when choosing glass railings?
There are many options from which you can choose when installing a glass railing.
- Frameless Glass: These railings feature panels without framed borders. They’re held in place by posts, clamp systems and base screens. The absence of supporting structures makes them suitable for areas that overlook beautiful scenery.
- Framed: These exterior glass railings feature glass panels that are supported and kept in place using frames, metal posts, and handrails and can be secured to concrete or wood. They offer safety and luxury and are particularly suitable for homes with pets and/or children.
- Tempered Glass (also referred to as toughened or safety glass) is approximately 4 times stronger than conventional glass options on the market. Railings made from tempered glass provide a sturdy railing, are scratch proof and are difficult to break.
- Laminated Glass incorporates a variety of glass layers held together by polyvinyl butyral resin. Any damage to this glass results in a spider web pattern similar to a crack on a windshield. This safety feature makes laminated glass a sought-after option for railings.
Glass railings are attractive, make spaces seem larger and are adaptable to a variety of areas. They offer a range of features allowing you to customize them to meet your needs. Glass railings are a safe, durable, and modern alternative for interior and exterior stairs, balconies, walkways, patios and pools. Consider a glass railing for your home or business.Whether you’re looking for handrails made entirely of glass or glass panels to complete a railing made of multiple materials, call the expert designers at House of Mirrors and Glass. We create custom pieces of glass that meet the unique specifications of any project. Come by today to meet our team. Visit our showroom. Our knowledgeable and efficient team provides excellent customer service with a focus on custom design. Call (403) 253-3777 or email us at email@example.com. Let us know what you’re looking to achieve and our experts will assist you!