The Victorians knew what they were doing when they first made “French embossed” glass in delicate hues for the purpose of decorating windows and doors. Frosted glass, as we now call it, is still a strong design statement in the interior of homes and commercial spaces. It adds a touch of elegance and style, enhancing the appeal of a room.
What is frosted glass?
Frosted glass is produced by sandblasting or acid etching clear sheet glass creating a pitted surface on the pane. The procedure renders the glass translucent, blurring images while still transmitting light.
Types of frosted glass:
Frosted glass is made through two types of manufacturing processes.
- Sandblasted frosted glass is created by a process of high-pressure blasting of a flat glass pane with sand or other abrasive materials. This procedure creates a resilient product that does not peel or chip and integrates easily with surrounding objects. You can choose a partially or fully etched glass surface providing a variety of degrees of clarity. Sandblasted glass is easily customizable and available in a variety of patterns and designs.
- Acid-etched frosted glass is made using a glass technique that’s been around for approximately a thousand years. Hydrofluoric acid is applied to both sides of a clear or coloured glass pane, melting or corroding the surface. This process creates a smooth, satiny texture with the possibility of many gradients of opacity. Through the use of stencils, the glass can be etched into intricate patterns. Colours can be used and the glass may be painted for further customization.
The benefits of frosted glass:
There are many benefits of using frosted glass in your space:
- More light: Frosted glass filters natural light protecting art and furnishings from harmful UV rays while allowing light transmission into your space.
- Privacy: Though it allows light to penetrate, frosted glass increases privacy, blurring objects and people into vague shapes and blended colours. This makes it a perfect choice for bathrooms, bedrooms, offices and other areas where privacy is desired.
- Saves money: The enhanced privacy provided by frosted glass means that costly curtains and/or blinds are unnecessary.
- Low maintenance: This glass treatment is resistant to scratching and does not rust or corrode. It’s streak-resistant and easily cleaned with a microfibre cloth.
- Energy-efficient: Filtering sunlight keeps your room cool during the summer while allowing some sunlight to enter which helps keep your space warm during winter. This adds up to lower energy bills.
- Beauty: Available in a variety of colours and designs, frosted glass adds a strong decorative element to any space.
- Versatile: Customizable to your requirements, frosted glass can be made in different dimensions, designs, colours and patterns.
Where can you use frosted glass?
- Shower stalls: Mold, moisture and corrosion resistant, frosted glass shower stalls allow in light, are easy to clean and give a bathroom an elegant feel.
- Bedroom closet doors: Jazz up your space with customized frosted glass wardrobe doors. They’ll brighten your room and make your space feel larger while hiding the clutter within.
- Skylights: Get heaps of diffused natural light, safe for art and furniture, through the use of a frosted glass skylight.
- Rooms partitions made of frosted glass offer privacy while maintaining a sense of openness.
- Bedroom and bathroom windows: Get privacy, natural light and a stylish look without the need for blinds and/or drapes.
- Offices: Balance the need for collaboration and privacy with frosted glass partitions. Let in the natural light needed for productivity and health.
Frosted glass is an attractive décor option, nothing short of art. Its beauty and versatility render it perfect for multiple applications in home and office.
Thinking of frosted glass? Need a custom installation for your home and/or office? Call Calgary’s premier glass and mirror company, House of Mirrors & Glass (403) 253-3777 or email us at email@example.com. Our helpful team of associates can assist you in finding the look that works for you. Check out our showroom today! Our knowledgeable and efficient team provides excellent customer service with a focus on custom design.