Many homeowners don’t realize how many ways there are to add style and/or accents to a living space with architectural glass. This glass can be textured, patterned and molded to take on unique looks. Glass architectural features are more affordable and stronger than ever. It’s a decorator’s dream!
What is architectural glass?
Architectural glass is glass that is treated in a particular way in order to make it strong enough for use in building applications; walls, windows, partitions, countertops, backsplashes, shelving, cabinet doors, room dividers, elevator cladding, barbacks, railings, chandeliers, shower glass and furniture.
What are the benefits of architectural glass?
Architectural glass is:
- UV, water, and chemical resistant
- Class A fire-rated
- Laminated, non-laminated, etched, patterned and tempered glass are available
- Recyclable and environmentally friendly
- Transmits, absorbs and/or refracts light bringing beauty to a space
- Rust resistant
- Excellent insulator
- Available in a variety of colours
- Can be pressed, blown and drawn to any shape
- Provides the means to showcase a product/object/ work of art
How to use architectural glass?
Architectural glass is multipurpose and can be used in a number of ways.
- Shelving: Glass shelving is spectacular! It provides practical storage space, is strong and durable and gives the impression of depth while being unobtrusive. Try it with a rounded, flat or bevelled edge. It works well in kitchens, bathrooms, entryways, to hold plants or knick-knacks and for showcasing collections.
- Glass partitions: Despite the beauty and practicality of open-living plans, there are times when you want a barrier between rooms. Glass partitions may be the answer. The space remains airy and flows while the glass creates just a little privacy.
- Glass railings: Architectural glass provides an unobstructed line of sight from a balcony or deck. Enjoy the view!
- Mezzanine barriers: Why settle for traditional wood railings when you can use architectural glass to maximize the light reaching your mezzanine.
- Link buildings: If you have multiple buildings on your property, link them with architectural glass. Make the walls and ceilings entirely of glass! It will feel like a conservatory, a perfect place to work or enjoy a cup of tea.
- Staircase: A glass staircase creates a fresh and airy effect by allowing light to pass through unobstructed. It opens up your space and makes it more inviting. Unlike conventional wood, the sturdy toughened glass used to create a glass staircase can never rot or attract insects.
- Glass tabletops: A custom glass tabletop is a unique and functional piece. Get creative with the table base!
- Designer glass interior doors: When replacing an interior door, consider using a glass insert instead of a traditional hollow-core wooden door. Glass doors increase the amount of natural light, make a space feel open while maintaining sound privacy and protecting against draughts.
- Showers: Update the look and feel of your bathroom with a sleek and modern glass shower enclosure. Pair with glass tiles for a cool contemporary look, or partner with traditional tiles to showcase your style.
- Kitchen cupboards: Add light to your kitchen with elegant cupboards made from patterned glass. Choose clear glass cupboard doors and an interior light to showcase your finest stemware or opaque etched glass to hide your cupboard’s contents in a sleek and modern way.
- Kitchen backsplash: The grout used with tile is hard to keep clean. Try a glass backsplash instead. It won’t trap bacteria, wipes clean easily and is water and stain-resistant.
Glass compliments every type of décor! Refresh your home with a few of these sparkling additions and enjoy the transformation made possible by the use of architectural glass.
Interested in trying architectural glass in your home? Looking for a unique custom design? Call Calgary’s premier glass and mirror company, House of Mirrors & Glass (403) 253-3777 or email us at email@example.com. Our helpful team of associates can assist you in finding the look that works for you. Check out our showroom today! Our knowledgeable and efficient team provides excellent customer service with a focus on custom design.